"A free bird leaps on the back of the wind and floats downstream till the current ends and dips his wing in the orange sun rays and dares to claim the sky." Maya Angelou

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A Day in the Life

Some beautiful Sculpey creations and two very happy kids!

I'm amazed at all the interests we have as I write them down....today was a typical day in our unschooling life....rich, varied, funny, thoughtful, fast-moving, slow-moving, together, independent.....in a nutshell, wonderful. Here, I'll list some of the things we were into today. I'm always conscious, though, that even though listing serves its purpose, it does not come close to touching the layers of conversation that take place during the activities and sometimes late into the night. When people ask, "What do you do all day?", I often answer, "Ask and answer questions!" I find the longer we do this, the more questions I have and the more able the kids are to help me when I need help, too. It's certainly not one-sided, and I feel honored that we are all learners together.

Here goes:

Sculpey clay (Christmas trees, race cars, fairy plates and forks)

Play-doh

Music (Bonnie Raitt and Nursery rhymes, among others)

Pippi Longstocking (read aloud with Mom)

Taran the Wanderer (Lloyd Alexander read aloud with Dad)

Walk (s)...one in the neighborhood with two neighborhood dogs, and lots of treasure finding; one at Assumption College at a fast pace for Mom's exercise benefit and to keep warm!

Nature treasure hunt in the back yard (made up by Fran)

Swinging and raking

Knitting (shawls for the comfort shawl project that Mom and Fran are participating in)

Making chocolate chip cookies

Tea party (complete with cookies!)

Dora's Fairy tale movie

Bionicles: building and playing

Bionicle web site (playing)

Mini-pet making (Will's creations out of lego's)

Reading Little Women

Cooking new pasta recipe

Dress-up

Drawing Little Women characters

Making poster of things we are thankful for

Counting money and checks for girl scout fundraiser

Taking care of new gold fish

Giving hermit crabs a bath (and cleaning crabitat)

Writing an article for a newsletter

Picking up brochures at Mom's office and helping to stuff envelopes

Bath time fun with bubbles

No comments: