"A free bird leaps on the back of the wind and floats downstream till the current ends and dips his wing in the orange sun rays and dares to claim the sky." Maya Angelou

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

If you lose your faith, babe.....

Just a few thoughts that emerged yesterday as I was sorting legos for my son. I was listening to one of my favorite albums (Amplified Heart by Everything But The Girl) two little ones were napping, my dd 9 was drawing and ds 7 was keeping me company during my 20 minute cleanup before heading off to a july 4 barbecue at the neighbor's house. The lyrics resonated with me, as I and my husband grow closer to unschooling in all aspects of our lives.
"If you lose your faith,babe, you can have mine,
and if you're lost, I'm right behind,
cause we walk the same line."

I have grown so much in the last year in really believing that we are our kids' partners and that we are here to help them when they fall. We are all on the same journey together. There is so much less pressure when I am not the one in control, but feel like we are working together, lending out faith to one another when it's needed.
I've learned to listen and see in a different way, and to not react (knee-jerk react!), but to trust the kids more, and if I don't understand, to ask them. They truly do know what's best for them and the trusting is going both ways. I find myself being listened to, not because I'm bigger or because I'm playing the parent card, but the kids respect me. They give me what I give them, and that's huge! It gets us through the rough spots. We are not perfect, by any means, but we're growing together every day.

No comments: